Mona.com

    4 Aug 2011

    climateadaptation:

    Thirty four percent of all garbage in the UAE is food, according to a risky new article published today in Gulf News: Breaking the Fast: What a Waste. Compare that to the US, where it’s 14% (an incredibly unacceptable number). 

    Very important note: Municipal waste (the chart above) in the US makes up around 25% of what’s in a landfill. The other 75% is industrial, commercial, constructions, hazardous, mining, etc. So, that’s 25% municipal waste, and only 14% of that is food. On a grand scale, that’s just around 3% of total waste is food in the US. 

    But, in the UAE, there is barely any commercial waste. They don’t mine, there are no old buildings to tear down and throw away, and there’s no mining, barely any wood, landscape trimmings, nor haz-mats to speak of. Just packaging, food, and some building materials used during construction, which has halted due to economic slowdown. So, food does account for a full 34% of the gross waste in the UAE. And that’s shameful. 

    Here’s a breakdown of US waste. I’ll post UAE’s if I find it later today.  


    1. stephhung reblogged this from climateadaptation
    2. officefordesignoperations reblogged this from emergentfutures
    3. citymaus reblogged this from climateadaptation
    4. namosays reblogged this from emergentfutures
    5. iycindia reblogged this from climateadaptation
    6. shanewtfman reblogged this from emergentfutures
    7. newsreviewz reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
      Thirty four percent of all garbage in the UAE is food, according to a risky new article published today in Gulf News:...
    8. parkstepp reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
      climateadaptation:
    9. emergentfutures reblogged this from climateadaptation
    10. envisc reblogged this from climateadaptation
    11. bigworldofscience reblogged this from climateadaptation
    12. mona-algherbawi reblogged this from climateadaptation
    13. climateadaptation posted this